How to install an Official Samsung Stock Firmware using Odin
How to update your device to the latest firmware?
The official method to update your Samsung phone is by using Samsung Kies or by OTA (Over-the-air). You can also manually update your device using Odin.
What is Odin?
Odin is a Samsung software, apparently leaked some time ago, that has the ability to flash firmwares, os, kernels and so on, on any Samsung device. It is a very powerful tool that can help your phone a lot, but at the same time it can brick your phone in a second. That’s why you need to be really careful when you use it and you have to make sure that you know what you are doing before you do it.
Odin comes in very helpful when you brick your phone. It is usually your first friend after you mess up an installation and you end up with a bricked phone. Odin is the too that should get you out of trouble.
!!! Installing stock kernels using Odin is not the official way to do it. It is usually done if you want to lose root or if you damaged the device in any way. You should be really careful and follow the instructions precisely.
How to install an official firmware with Odin?
- Download Odin 3.07 or download the Odin version that works for your phone if you haven’t already downloaded it. (Search for your device here)
- Download the file containing the official firmware that you wish to install and move it on your PC.
- Extract the files from the archive with the firmware. The extracted files should have .tar or .tar.md5 extension.
- IMPORTANT! Samsung Kies is not compatible with Odin. You have to make sure that Kies is not running in system tray. To be sure that nothing happens it is recommended to uninstall Kies before using ODIN.
- Reboot the phone in download mode. (Google ‘Download Mode’ for your device)
- Start Odin
- This should open this window:
- There is a button called PDA . Click on it and select the .tar or .tar.md5 file from Step. 2 that has ‘code’ in its name. (The file containing the Firmware)
- If the archive contained more than one .tar files, they should be labeled with ‘code’ (PDA), ‘modem’ (PHONE) and’csc’ (CSC). You should put each one at the corresponding button. (See the picture above, under PDA button there are 2 more buttons)
- IMPORTANT! Do not place anything at the PIT section and make sure that “re-partition” is not checked. (On the left side of the image you will see Re-partition under the Option tab)
- Connect your phone to the PC with the USB cable.
- There is a section called ID:COM (on the left upper side of the window). That white rectangle has to turn yellow.
- When ID:COM turns yellow you can press START to flash the firmware.
- Don’t touch the USB cable or the phone and don’t do anything on the computer while the firmware is being flashed.
- At the end, the device should reboot and you should have the firmware you wanted installed on your device.
Be very careful while you go through this process. Make sure you have knowledge about what you are doing before it is too late for your phone.
Hope this guide was helpful to you.